I am becoming quiet the pro at sleeping on floors at this point in my year in Korea. This past weekend, after all our Christmas celebrations were over, I traveled with the younger boys at my center (as well as most of the staff) to Muju. Where we once again stayed at a pension. It was a beautiful house that was all wood, and would be the perfect Colorado mountain getaway except it lacked a fire place. It made up for this fact by heating the floor and so while the boys played upstairs the adults laid on the floor watching TV. Seeing as I still don't understand enough Korean to really follow what is going on on television, I laid watching the snow fall. For a while there it started to feel more like Christmas.
One of the many views from the resort
I successfully slept on the floor with the other teachers and even managed to eat rice and kimchi chigae (a sort of stew) for breakfast! It was a little spicier than I would normally eat for breakfast, but as I have learned time and time again in Korea, food is food.
Then we set out for the resort. Thankfully we weren't going skiing, because that has never been one of my strengths, but we took a ride up the mountain to get one of the best views. Unfortunately once we got up there we realized that visibility was about 20 feet, so I will have to take their word for it. The trees all covered in snow were certainly pretty on the way up and down.
It wasn't until mid-afternoon till we got to the main event. SLEDDING! I have never gone sledding at a ski resort, and I will have to admit I have been on more exciting hills in my life, but I had a blast racing the boys down the hill. Let it be know that all the years of sledding down the driveway (as much work as it was to get the sled to move) paid off. I was the undefeated champ when it came to racing down the hill. Even the other teachers, try as they might, couldn't beat me. The best part was we could have all this fun without having to try and communicate in either English or Korean!!
The boys, much fun had been had :-)
Campus, somewhere behind the trees is our house covered in snow.
I keep thinking: The weather outside is frightful, but the heated floors are so delightful, and since I'm sick anyway, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW!
No comments:
Post a Comment