Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Over the Hill

The halfway point of my year in South Korea has come. I have come a long way in the past 6 months and overcome many challenges. Each of these have been their own hill and the truth of the matter is you get to the top of one hill to find many more awaiting you to climb.

After being away from Korea for a while, coming back has been an adjustment. Getting used to all the things that had become normal until I spent three weeks just touring with my parents and brother. But most of all, I have been overwhelmed by the people in the community who missed me and are glad to see me back. Many of these people had been too shy to talk to me in the past. It helps me to realize that I really am making a difference here and that the community really has accepted me (even if I do get stared at walking down the street).

While I have more than half my year behind me I know there will be many more adventures to come. For instance, Monday Jenny, Becky and I went to the Daejeon professional men's volleyball game. It was fantastic. The fans cheer regardless of what is actually going on in the game. If they win the point they cheer one song and if they lose the point they cheer another song. There is a guy who stands with a microphone and coordinates the cheers and there is a student section that puts 'Block O' to shame with their choreographed cheers. So here is to everyday being a new adventure!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you were missed. Again, I am really in awe of you all, having experienced my brief introduction to being somewhere totally different where you can't understand the street signs, menu, or the people. And I had you to lead me around!

    ReplyDelete